01 June 2010

Nikon D5000 SLR

Having been a photographer most of my life, the last few years have been tough, my Nikon prosumer point and shoot model basically died a slow death and with little work coming in, there was no way to replace it. Recently a couple of good contracts allowed me to think about getting a new camera and finally this past weekend, I did.

Bought at L.L. Lorzeau (which had a great deal and as a serious camera only store, incredible selections and service) I also bought what I consider essential extras. Remote shutter release, extra battery and polarized lens filter. The kit came with 2 lenses, 18-55 and 55-200mm with an anti-shake feature. I also got a superb macro lens. Yes I went over the budget I had set, but it was worth it, I am the sort of person who might sell his house before going without a camera.

So far, I am over the top happy about it. The images are really good and it's a gi-normous upgrade from the other digital cameras I've been used to using. Looking forward to some portrait shots to see how it fairs in that department. I also have been excited to do some time lapse stuff and long exposure work that the other camera and even past cameras just could not do. According to the specs this one should handle it all very well.

So far the video function is not very impressive. The quality isn't that great, but good enough to not take a video camera on vacation, but not film anything serious with. At least not without a lot of post work.

Click on images for larger versions.





2 comments:

T' said...

Nice stuff, Vince! My partner has got into amateur photography and really likes going to the zoo and taking photos. There's a lot to learn, even more, it seems, from when I was in high school and had to shoot, develop and print my own stuff. :"D Congrats!

Behemoth media said...

It's true, the digital SLRs have all the features of the film cameras plus a million new features... some of which are useless but many that really aid in taking the best photos possible. Then there's the whole post work, what used to be the darkroom is now the millions of things you can do in photoshop! It's not just dodging, burning and cropping anymore! I miss my old darkroom though still!