03 December 2016

Final Cut Pro 10.3.1, Motion 5/3, Affinity Designer 1.5

I am still waiting for some software to come out (Affinity Photo 1.5, Obduction, X-particles potential update) but that doesn’t mean nothing has been updated. 













Apple did a huge update to Final Cut X that as full of good stuff overall. The autoscrolling timeline still isn’t  there… I don’t get it it’s in all their other software even iMovie. The new layout is confusing at first but as I get used to it it’s makes more sense. I like the preset layouts especially over two monitors. I have found it more stable and faster on my system at least. The new audio tools were really needed but finding my sound effects from external files is little screwy now and needs to be sorted out. 



Motion also got an update. Well as much an update as it ever gets. It’s a good software that merits a lot more love than Apple gives it. Basically it works better and looks like the new Final Cut X. It is in desperate need of new features, basic ones. I personally could use a vector motion blur and Z depth filter for my 3D work but I will have to wait for a Boris plugin update to get those at 200$ which is a lot to add on to a 50$ program as a plugin. 



Affinity Designer 1.5 got a large update and it’s pretty sweet. I don’t do much internet layout in it but the flexible layouts is a big improvement for that. I have been using it over Illustrator more and more for my professional design work and I'm not sorry about that in the least. I can’t recommend the Affinity products enough these days. The company is responsive, quick to fix things and open about their development. The two products released are reasonably priced, well featured and always improving. 

2 comments:

T' said...

I didn't notice a lot of change in AD though I haven't dived in nearly as much as you have. There are still a few things that get in my way, such as the idea that when exporting as a jpg, there doesn't seem to be a way for AD to know that I only want to export what's actually an image, not whatever the 'matte' size is. AI did this automatically. Final Cut mostly seemed to just hide things for no real reason, like the magnification of the timeline, which I adjust ALL the time. No reason this should be a hidden panel that I can see. Don't use Motion though I have it. Don't really know what it does. That being said, I wish the Affinity people well. I really want to make that final leap away from Adobe.

Behemoth media said...

the timeline size adjustments should not be hidden... that is the most annoying thing in the new update! Most of the updates in FCX seem to be for corporate users who have to make quick presentations from conferences or little electronic press kit peices. Not actual films, hence the "amazing" addition of 3D titles which was fine but they needed to put in a lot more basic tools and features before doing that in my opinion.