29 May 2022

Game: Myst 2021 by Cyan Games

 


I sort of promised myself I wasn't going to buy Myst again... I have bought it several times now as it got updated over the decades and was happy enough to have it on my iPad and get to play the "new age" Rime in that version. I am not a gamer as anyone who knows me will tell you but I LOVE the world of Myst and the visuals. I bought Obduction and will be getting Firmament when it is released, supposedly the end of this year.

Was it worth another purchase? It was on sale on Steam and I could not resist. The graphics were really amazing and game play was smooth and so good I don't think I can play on the iPad again because the look of the 2021 version is just that good. 

The new version has some interesting differences in navigation and some of the puzzles. This seems to be to allow for limitations in the VR version (financial note to self: MUST NOT BUY). There was a big disappointment at the end for me, however. The Rime age was not included. I have read they are planning to add it in a update so I will look forward to that, but I won't lie it was a sad surprise to see it was missing. 

* Additional note: The second Myst game, Riven, is apparently under development with a new updated version as it was maybe the best in the series I am surprised it hasn't been done already. There were human characters and strange creatures walking around in that one and I really would like to see how that looks if it is anywhere near the quality of this update. 

2 comments:

T' said...

I loved Myst, too. There was a novel, or more than one of them and I think I read at least one. I have the iPad versions but I remember the puzzles in the original too well. Riven? THat's another story. I remember some but they're a lot harder. Good to know the new versions are good and that you're having fun with them.

Vincent-louis Apruzzese said...

My gaming taste is so limited, I am just glad some new stuff I like is coming out. The last 2 Myst games are not 64 bit and won't work on the Mac anymore I was replaying the 4th when that happened. :(