13 June 2022

Illustrations: Mount Royal & bird house(Vermont)



 A structure on Mont Royal got my attention a month or 2 ago and I started drawing it about 3 weeks ago. I was able to get a lot done while waiting 3 ½ hours at the bus terminal for a late bus ride to Boston Thursday and then I did the rest while staying with my dad. Used a greyscale technique with some highlights to show more depth. 


The second drawing a bird house at Mobius Meadows Farmstead in Vermont I did a quick sketch of while there and took some reference phots and got some of it finally inked in while I was sitting with my mom in hospital a few hours Friday afternoon. I then finished it waiting for the bus to take me home. This was all pen strokes except for the watercolour splash in the background. I didn't want to use any additional "tricks" like grey areas or white pencil, just line. 

2 comments:

T' said...

Sorry I'm late on this; was on vacation myself in Boston and when I'm away, I generally ignore social media and anything but texts and email. I like them both. The birdhouse is VERY solid and has some great texture in it. Interesting how something so simple can have such impact. The mausoleum? above has a great sense of depth. Really nice use of greyscale. I wonder, just out of curiosity; is the line work on a separate layer from the greys? What would it look like without the lines? Just curious as I have a feeling it would look more misty and might have more depth but also might not be a better choice. Just me poking. They're both great and show a lot of observation.

Behemoth media said...

A week earlier and we both would have been in Boston at the same time! It's bound to sync up someday!
The birdhouse came out exactly as I wanted so I am pretty happy about that. I never considered turning off the ink layer, might be a good idea, I already forget if it has one ink layer or many. The greyscale layer is not very precise but that might work even better. Poke away!