10 October 2022

Illustration: Bay Window, rue Wolfe

 


This was originally going to be a Krita project, showing how decrepit the bay window is on this building. The brick was all redone but the window is rotting away. I even started painting it but then decided on another direction and did the drawing in Affinity Designer. Designer is a vector drawing program, not bit map, like Affinity Photo of Photoshop. With them you paint with pixels but vector is more like building an image with shapes - almost like using cut outs for each part. Every piece is its own layer and the image can be made as large or small are you like with no loss in quality. 

So this way of doing it didn't make it impossible to get that rotting look but it doesn't really lend itself to that so I kept some odd angles to the bay but for the most part made it look much more attractive than it is. There is a small tree in front I drew, then deleted because it took away from the facade. I really liked adding the shadows and I think they give it a very natural look I wasn't expecting in a vector drawing. 

2 comments:

T' said...

This is an interesting choice. I can see why you'd want to do the decay. Have you ever used the pixel layer options in AD? You could maybe do the decay in that and still be able to turn it off if you want. Otherwise, it's a good study, very structural.

Vincent-louis Apruzzese said...

I walk past it every other day at 5 am on my dog walk and the sun hits it just right in the summer. I did think about the pixel layer option.. but I still haven't used it! I have some sort of block against it for some reason!