05 February 2019

The Raven - a new short animation


Based on the poem by Edgar Allen Poe, this was my longest single animation to date at 9 minutes. Michael Z. Keamy did the narration and it was a solid 5 months of full time work to get it done.

This time out with the addition of simple sub-titling tools added to Final Cut X, I was able to add French and English captioning so more people can watch and understand it. I tried for a sombre but realistic tone to present to poem. I have seen a few animations that go wild with abstract shots and ideas but I wanted this to keep grounded. It was a challenge to make something that is basically some depressed dude yelling at a bird in one room for nine minutes until he passes out! I started with longer, lingering shots and then made them shorter and shorter as it progressed to give it a faster pace while keeping the ideas of grief and depression to the forefront.

2 comments:

T' said...

I keep hoping this will work. Like a fool, I'm trying again, just in case. And just in case, I wanted to leave a word of encouragement. Keep learning, working and making. It all adds up!

Behemoth media said...

OMG It worked! I keep trying on your blog too, I will have to try again!