23 January 2022

Illustration: Fèlix (and latex Apple Pencil tips)

 


I bought some cheap latex nib covers for my Apple Pencil because I have had issues of the pen slipping on the glass and when I do stipple work it makes REALLY loud tapping noises. I had a textured glass protector on an earlier iPad and it felt great to draw on but noticeably affected the image colours on the screen and got marked up pretty quickly. I got 20 nib covers for 8$ Canadian so it wasn't a huge investment like buying the Paperlike screen cover is to me. 

Does it feel like drawing on paper? No, it does not. It does feel MUCH better than on the glass alone. I was surprised at how more control I had and how much more precise the stippling was. It might have a little too much resistance from some people but that didn't bother me. I will be curious to see how it works with a colour project. 20 for 8$ was a middle the road price. Some were much cheaper and some were more money. I am not sure there is any difference in quality though I could see there might be differences in resistance with different brands.

I haven't really drawn a young child before that I can remember. The lips were a challenge and the wispy hair. I think the white highlights help make it more 3 dimensional.

1 comment:

T' said...

Children are a pain in the ass. People either tend to make them too 'precious,' or have no idea how to approach drawing them. You did really well! Great expression, I can tell it's a baby but I don't want to coo or make faces at it. It's just observed and well rendered. As for the tips, I'd be interested to hear more about them. Don't know that I want such a thing but I don't do stippling, either. Thanks for the info!