18 December 2023

photography: Provincetown 2023


 I wasn't sure if I would be able to take my end of year trip to provincetown Massachusetts this year. The hotel I usually stay in doubled it rates and going to the states has become more of chore for me lately. However, a friend who has a condo there rents it out and gave me a really kind offer and I was able to stay 5 night for what would have costs me for 2 so I took advantage of that and was able to wander around and take a photos in at least one place I have never been to before.  I only spoke to one person I knew while there the entire trip which was very nice for me because I go there for solitude. Provincetown is super active in season but the opposite off season. I was also recovering from my first case of Covid and had (and still have weeks later) a terrible cough. So while being sick while away isn't ideal, it's better to be sick in a place you can do things by yourself and come back to your place and just sleep or do nothing.

(click images to see larger versions)






There are three lighthouses in provincetown, one I photographed in detail last year, one I have never seen and one I kept seeing but could never get to on Race Point. It took three days of walking for hours and a quick cab ride to finally get there. It's not a road and there are no signs telling where it is. I was deposited on a fire road that became dunes and a sort of broken pathway that led to the lighthouse and it's accompanying buildings. Great! Well, mostly great. The one day i could get there was the same day as a snow storm the the photos I took were not exactly what I was looking for but managed a few good ones I hope. 









Other excursions took me all over Race Point and while I have taken nice images there before I was able to spend more time wandering all over. There are several structures there I find interesting and the dunes are always beautiful.








Lastly, I spent some time taking photos on and around commercial street, the main drag through the town in the daytime and also at night to sort of button up the images I have wanted ot take over the years and never got to. 

2 comments:

T' said...

These are all really stunning, Vince. The winners for me are of the old house in the middle of the grassy field. They feel like a Wyeth painting. I actually love the snow falling in front of the lighthouse. And the weird, almost carnival feel of the main drag, empty, cold but colorful. Great shots. Thanks for sharing them!

Behemoth media said...

Empty is right! I saw one person I knew the entire 5 days other than the two people I drove down with who left the next day. I was pretty worn out from being sick and that was perfect.