30 September 2026

Animation: Music of Erich Zann (remake)


  My third animation remake, Music of Erich Zann, was my first full-scale attempt to make a short animation. I had made "Dust Bunnies" a few years before, but this was more complicated with human characters and several sets. The first version took me 5 years to make. I had to learn basic modelling, rigging, lighting... the whole works. It was done in Cinema 4D and the opening POV shot walking up the street took 25 hours to render. 

Like the previous 2 remakes, I like the original version, but it lacks, mostly because of the skill and technical deficits I had at the time, the look and feel I wanted to achieve. My goal is to have online the best versions of my films on display and use the remakes to get better with Blender and animation in general for future projects now that I am retired and have (in theory) more time to work on personal projects.

Old version of the street. Not the reason this needed to be redone, I was satisfied with the look. 



Old and new version of Zann. New is more realistic and will have more emotional range. Same with the narrator. 



The narrator: old and new










4 comments:

T' said...

Those new characters are indeed leaps ahead of the old ones. I look forward to voicing this for you again!

Behemoth media said...

I think it will really improve this animation. I can't decide if I just know more with time or if Blender is just better for more realistic renders than my old version of C4D. I am thinking of animating a play Keamy wrote years ago. It would be at least 30 minutes, I think, and has a lot more speaking characters than I am used to. I will need to find more voices! It takes place on the roof of a building so the setting will be easy to do.

T' said...

I mean, as you've heard, I sometimes do up to four voices in a single episode of "Cue Footsteps," so count me in for some of those!

Behemoth media said...

If Keamy agrees with me to do this he would do a voice as well. I will have to see how many voices are needed and if Keamy is willing to rewrite or let me rewrite it to be easier to animate. I am lucky to have friends who volunteer to help me with my crazt projects!