22 December 2020

Poster project: Nosferatu

 

I seem motivated by monsters these days. When I get an idea and the urge to realize it I'm trying just close the door to the studio and work until I'm done. I started this one a day ago but did about 7 hours on it today. 

I used Krita again, the charcoal brushes and went through a restored version of the film frame by frame for reference images. I didn't really find a single pose I liked and so I made one up using 2 main images as references and the famous stairway shadow as inspiration for the background. I skipped his hair over the ears, I know it's in the film but it always sort of bugged me so I guess I used a more "modernized" version of Nosferatu. The last few decades that little patch of Brillo pad hair over his ears is usually forgotten favour of totally shaved head. 

2 comments:

T' said...

You did NOT make things easy on yourself, did you? I know that the footage is not sharp and rarely in good shape. You're doing things I do; using less than stunning reference material! That being said, you did a fine job. Monsters really seem to be a passion for you. Why not do a series?

Behemoth media said...

I have wanted to do a classic monsters series for years. I started with the Wolfman because I foolishly thought wolf=dog-like= =I draw lots of dogs=should be easy! After failing a bunch of times I just gave up. In many ways I was inspired by looking at those gorgeous covers on Famous Monsters of Filmland. I might try Creature from the Black Lagoon next because that costume is done of the best ever. I would like to try something in colour at some point sort of how those covers were colour representation from black and white movie characters.