08 August 2021

Nathan &Pascal Drawing 01 +


 I uncharacteristically approached two guys practicing acrobatics in the park a couple weeks ago and asked if they would like to pose for reference photos for a series of drawings. I am pretty anti-social, to say the very least, but they were so nice and enthusiastic after I showed them some of previous stuff that I was glad I did it. 

This is the fist in the series. Drawn in Procreate on the iPad and I liked the sort of upside-down feel it has. I went back and forth on wether to have a shadow, or to show the yoga mat they were on. the shadow was sort of wild and I thought it went well with the rest of it. 

I also did a simplified sketch in Affinity Designer, something I have been experimenting with as it's a million miles away from my usual drawing style but has it's own challenges. I think I captured the weight of the pose with very few lines so I think it is a success. 



2 comments:

T' said...

Really cool, Vince, and I definitely agree about the shadow. It's much more interesting than a mat would be and gives us a better idea of what's going on. I like the simplified version, too. It's really solid and a good addition to the other series you did like it. Hope you got some info from the acrobats so you can send them a copy! I'm sure they'd be thrilled.

Behemoth media said...

I have been in touch and we plan to do more photos at their dance studio in a couple weeks maybe with another person. They seemed to really like the pen and ink but am not sure they loved the simplified drawing. I had them do their thing on a giant rock in the park and I am working on a colour drawing of that.