13 August 2022

Portraits: Mom and Dad

 I was inspired after talking to my friend Mike after he did a portrait of his father a while back. Both my parents are in poor health and I decided that if I didn't do portraits of them now I likely never would. 

My mom's portrait was the most difficult. Her poor health has changed her dramatically. I took some reference photos while visiting her last but I changed a lot for the portrait. I wanted to draw her recently but not emphasize her current state so much. It isn't who she is so I took some liberties and came through with something those who know her would recognize as her. 

My father's portrait was easier, I took his photos the same day and while I did concentrate on his smile over his wrinkles, it's very much him all the way. I used a multi toned technique for his hair which I think worked out well.

I won't lie, these were emotionally hard to make and in a way that is why I did them. It hard to see them age and change and doing a portrait means looking at every detail and facing it. I got some really needed advice from (now New Mexico artist) Tobias Blaine Allen who really pointed me in the right direction with the shading in particular.  I drew these in a way that they could be put together as one image if I decide to print them like that. 

While I did most of the work in Procreate on the iPad, I did the shading and finish work in Affinity photo to take advantage of my 27 inch 5k screen. 

2 comments:

T' said...

These must have been very hard indeed. My mom would have hated any image of her, most likely. And I was never close to my father, so of course I did one of him. They're very well done, Vince. I think it's important that you worked through it all and made something positive. And you still have reference material in case you want to go back at some point. Sorry you're going through all this. I hope everything with you is ok.

Behemoth media said...

I think I am happy with them. I sent them to y siblings, one sister liked them, they made my brother sad and my other sister did not respond yet. I won't be posting them anywhere, My blog is always 'safe" since almost nobody looks at it! I am finishing(?) another portrait of a friend but it's not looking good and I can't place why. Showed Robin since he knows the guy and at first he thought I was drawing him... which made no sense and then he didn't;t think looked like my friend either but he is the worst person to critique things . Debating on sending it to my friend and seeing how much he hates it!