13 September 2022

portrait: Denis


 I took some very unposed photos of my friend Denis to use in making portrait. He hasn't said he hates it so I am going to go with he is OK with it. I am. I think it came out well. It think the resemblance is there and it's got some expression and emotion in it. (He was getting jumped on by my dog at the time.) 

I used Sketchbook Pro again and the ink brushes really work for me. I have had some problems with Procreate and the ink brushes on portraits so I think I'll stick with this for people and procreate for some other stuff. Its really the stipple work that looks much better I think. I used my 3 shades techniques for the hair, something I have been doing for the last few portraits. Most of my friends have grey, white or some combo of that hair now and the three tones, a black, white and grey give the hair more life over just black lines. Maybe it's a phase I'm going through. 

4 comments:

T' said...

This one's really good, too, not least of which because you managed the careful balance of depicting teeth. They're really hard to do where they are not only convincing but don't look weird. Well done!

Behemoth media said...

Teeth are difficult a times! With something like this your don't want them to look like a cartoon or add tooo much detail so they look like they are rotting or something. Lips are hard for me too. I don't think I have quite figured out drawing lips in ink yet.

T' said...

Lips are a pain in the ass. Their geometry is weird to say the least. :D

Behemoth media said...

I can never decide if using lines or stipple is best for lips. So it's agreed, we will outlaw lips the moment we take over!