08 September 2022

Software: Sketchbook Pro and Procreate


 Lately I have been using Sketchbook Pro a lot more. I had almost thought that I would be using Procreate exclusively on the iPad and forgetting about Sketchbook but as I got back into ink portraits, I found I liked Sketchbook's ink brushes much better and while the interface is weird, no double tap to undo for example, I would it handled palm rejection perfectly and the button that moves pretty much everything out of your way while drawing was super helpful. It also lets you transfer over to the desktop version and I really appreciate that. I finish off most of my drawings on the 27 inch 5 k iMac because it's suck a great image and the size lets me really see any problems. 

Procreate has been really good with architectural drawings, the way it handles making straight lines is far superior to Sketchbook which uses a visual ruler you drag the pencil along to make a straight line, it also has other tools to visually make shapes with. It's very much like using those plastic shapes I would draw with on paper back in the day... cute, traditional but also an extra step or more. Working in colour with Procreate takes some getting used to and I'm not there yet but I find it easier than Sketchbook. The interface is a little in the way at times but it takes advantage of the iPad Pro power in ways other programs haven't yet. 

It seems like I'll be using both for the time being. Sketchbook is now owned by users who took it over from Autodesk and they have been making improvements especially on the desktop version including really nice new brushes. If i can get my head around colour workout it the fact I can go between iPad and desktop might convince me to put Procreate on the back burner, but I am nowhere near there yet. 

I like to work with the least amount of applications possible so I don't have to learn a million things keep track of a million updates, not to mention the cost (though Procreate is one time fee and Sketchbook is free) but I also want to use the best tool for the job so for now these are my iPad preferences and Krita is my desktop preference. 

2 comments:

T' said...

Never used Sketchbook. Procreate does what I need it to do and more. I have WAY too many extra brushes (over 600) though I generally use only a handful. That being said, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the tool is, only if it helps you create great stuff. And yours do. So it sounds like you're all set!

Behemoth media said...

I wish Krita had an iPad app but that isn’t happening. Sketchbook has a setting that only makes a mark on the canvas with the pen which really stops extra marks happening and that helps me a lot with stipple work. I am sure they will both keep changing and improving and eventually one will be enough. I am sort of obsessed with having less things even digital things!