17 January 2024

Illustrations: Human Evolution Skulls

 This is a poster project I am doing for my brother. He asked a while back but since he just bought a house I thought getting done as a house gift was good motivation. This took a few months to work on. Finding images of skulls to work from and getting the information right was a challenge. Different sources have different ideas what goes where and some skulls are only fragments which doesn't make for a good poster. 

I decided on a style and also to make grey in the areas where the skulls were reconstructed when there were pieces missing. Three of the images (the last three) will not be on the poster as there wasn't a good place for them to go but it was still good to do them. I have a plan for the layout, each image is 15x15" which is large so they will look much more detailed shrunk to fit the poster size, which I haven't decided on yet. 

Mostly done in Affinity Photo with some help from Krita. 





2 comments:

T' said...

These are really cool! They look like professional archeological illustrations. That used to be an actual thing before digital stuff took its place. Looks like a LOT of work. Great detail. I'm sure he will love them.

Behemoth media said...

When I was a kid I wanted to be a medical illustrator, most books preferred illustrations over photos but I never got very far looking into it. Thanks Wig!