04 January 2024

2023 Year in Review


 2023 is over, I won't miss it or look back on it fondly from a personal point of view.  The year started with my mother's death from dementia and ended with my aunt's death from the same with more of that in between. I was restricted from leaving even Montreal for 6 months as I waited for kidney surgery to be done, it was 2 years overdo already. I got Covid in November and am still coughing. Work did pick up as some clients needed more done as things picked up and a couple new clients showed up so that helped. I still don't make enough to live but maybe this year? 

Software

From a software perspective it was a mixed bag. The Serif Affinity Suite of graphic design apps has been upgrading and getting closer to having all I want on desktop and iPad. Procreate released an animation app that is missing a lot but also adding missing features as a good clip. The no render full live preview feature alone is revolutionary not just on iPad but would be on the desktop as well. Topaz has been updating it's Video and Photo AI apps almost weekly, sometimes more! They did discontinue their previous stand alone apps but having 2 instead of 5 apps is a better solution. Cinema 4D V19 stopped working in a practical sense for me. I am not ready as I still don't have even the basics of Blender under my belt. C4D sort of works, the icon buttons are unusable but the drop down menus still work so it's isn't all the way dead and it still works on my old laptop so I won't be selling that anytime soon. There were some really cool plugins for Final Cut and others but most were subscription based, something I can't afford and really can't reasonably support. 

Photography 

I managed to go on 2 photo excursions in 2023. Mont Sutton which came out much nicer than I thought and Provincetown at the Race Point lighthouse which was les than I hoped but its off the bucket list at least. 

Art

I finished over 40 drawings and illustrated over 60 pages of children's book for a client. I also finished one animation, Pulled towards the Sea which puts dementia into a gothic horror light. I made light progress on a few short stories. 

2 comments:

T' said...

I can't imagine going through the family and surgery issues you have. And yet you've come out strong, having produced some really solid work. Do not overlook that in your achievements. I look forward to seeing what you do in 2024! Keep making and keep sharing!

Behemoth media said...

I think the problems was connected to the uptick in productivity in my art as the art helps me stay marginally sane and sitting in hospitals and with ailing relatives is good iPad time for drawing. I certainly had plenty of reasons to try and escape into my artwork!